Strawberry Banana Bread
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1-1/2 cups strawberries, mashed
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9×5 inch pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, strawberries, bananas, orange peel, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add flour mixture, and stir just until moistened. Stir in walnuts.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until loaves test done. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Yield: 2 loaves (9×5 inch)
- Omitted the nutmeg, since I don’t particularly like the flavour.
- Used whole wheat pastry flour.
- Doubled the cinnamon.
- Used 1 cup packed brown sugar and 1 cup splenda.
- Used less strawberries and more bananas, simply based on what was available in the kitchen.
- Omitted the orange peel.
- Used canola oil instead of vegetable oil.
- Omitted the walnuts since I’m taking them to school and avoiding nut allergies.
The consensus – me plus the students at school who had a loaf to end their 30 Hour Famine – was that this bread rocked! There wasn’t really enough strawberry in it to taste them, but it was good nonetheless. Next time, I’ll try it with as much strawberry as the recipe calls for, and see if that improves it!